Job Title: Chief Accountant
Reports to: Medical Director
Interfaces with: Senior Management Team, Ward In-Charges, Nursing Staff, Multidisciplinary Health Team, Patients/ Clients and Families, Auxiliary Staff,
Supervises: The Accountant, Accounts Assistant, Cashiers, Etc.
Overall Job Summary
The chief accountant will provide financial and accounting services in accordance with the financial regulations. The chief accountant will ensure that all financial records at KMCH are accurately written, properly maintained and regular/periodic returns properly compiled and submitted to the medical director he/she will establish functional systems for accounting at KMCH. To ensure that agreed systems are utilized and regularly revised to meet the highest standards in accordance with the organizational strategy.
Required skills & competencies
Work experience: at least 3-5 years of professional experience involving the application of the principles of finance and accounting at a managerial or supervisory level.
- Education requirements: a degree in accounting, BCOM / BBA /BSc (accounting or finance major) or their equivalent; plus
- Full membership of internationally recognized professional accounting body (ACCA, CPA, CIMA, etc.)
- Principles and practices of organization, planning, records management and general administration.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office and internet
- Proficiency in different accounting packages like QuickBooks, sage pastel, and tally
- Prior knowledge and experience in the medical field is an added advantage.
Skills and attitude:
- Ability to multi task
- Excellent problem analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent it and numerical abilities
- Planning and organizing
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Supervisory skills
- Initiative and the ability to work as part of a team
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Administration/ management
- Strategic analysis and supporting strategic planning
- Developing and managing financial systems/models that are in line with the overall strategic objective
- Enforcing financial strategies and regulations
- People management
- Managing finance, and accounting teams, and ensuring efficiency and accuracy in their workflows.
- Implementing measures for staff improvement in your department
- Prepare and effect staff payments in time
- Budgeting and reporting
- Collating, preparing and interpreting reports, budgets, accounts, and financial statements within the required time periods
- Reporting to stakeholders and board members
- Controlling income, cash flow and expenditure
- Answer/ report to all audit queries and inquiries
- Preparing and reconciling bank statements to iron out discrepancies with other accounts documents especially cash books
- Any other duties and responsibilities as may be deemed fit by the medical director
- This position is a full time. Additional requirements require for the incumbent to be of integrity, be accountable, flexible, and innovative. He/ she should have good interpersonal skills. A good understanding of diversity is essential. Other qualities include self-management, self-drive networking & team work; capacity builder, mentor & role model for team mates.
- This position calls for one to have the ability to work under demanding deadlines and be ab le to multitask
- You will be expected to observe safety measures as outlined in the KMCH policy manual, which you are required to read and refer to as necessary.