JOB TITLE: ENROLLED NURSE
DEPARTMENT: As allocated
REPORTS TO: Registered Nurse, Team Leader, Nurse in-charge & Senior Staff Nurse
INTERFACES WITH: Patients/ Clients and families, Multidisciplinary health team
OVERALL JOB SUMMARY
The Enrolled nurse will work to provide a safe environment for patient care. She/ He will assist in patient care and other related duties as directed by the nurse in charge of the shift. He / She will be expected to maintain the standards of practice as per KMCH guidelines, ensure effective communication and work closely with other members of multi-disciplinary team to ensure delivery of holistic care to the patient
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
- Education: Minimum – Certificate Enrolled Nursing/ Enrolled Comprehensive Nurse from a recognized School of Nursing in Uganda.
- Experience: Two years or more post qualification work experience in a hospital environment is desirable
- Licensure: Must be enrolled with the Uganda Nurses and Midwives Council and hold a current practicing license.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with all the multi-disciplinary team, patients and relatives.
- Critical thinking, insight and good decision- making. Competent in nursing knowledge and has up-to-date clinical skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Be punctual and dependable for assigned work assignments, shifts and duties
- Attend unit hand-over meetings
- Act always in such a manner to promote and safeguard the interests and well-being of patients and clients
- Perform all nursing duties in accordance with the UNMC Enrolled Nursing levels while adhering to all KMCL policies & procedures
- Provide direct patient care, administering treatment as prescribed and monitoring vital signs.
- Directly work with the medical officer and ensure that patient has been reviewed and new instructions promptly followed.
- Monitor all aspects of patient care, including diet and physical activity.
- Prepare patients for, and assist with, examinations and treatments.
- Ensure team work and complete assigned tasks and seek for help from your seniors to ensure delivery of quality care to clients.
- Attend scheduled unit CMEs as per the unit standard
- Safely administer drugs following the KMCL policy on drug administration.
- Competently use medical equipment for procedures as such as suctioning, oxygen therapy, and patient monitoring.
- Communicating effectively with the multidisciplinary team, patients/clients and their relatives and friends.
- Role modeling excellence in nursing practice and maintaining the standards of practice within KMCL
- Maintenance of a safe and acceptable environment for patients and staff and taking appropriate action to ensure this
- Reporting incidents/ accidents/ complaints to the nurse in charge. Be familiar with the inventory processes on the unit and check equipment as assigned.
- Act in a supportive role to the Senior Staff nurse/in charge and to accept appropriate delegated responsibilities.
- Wear appropriate & accepted uniform as per KMCL nurses uniform policy
- Any other duties that may from time to time be assigned.
- Enrolled nurses are expected to work at all times within the Ugandan Nurses and midwifery council code of professional conduct and to observe safety measures as outlined in the KMCH Policy Manual, which you are required to read and refer to as necessary.
- You are required to adhere to the employment policies as per department guidelines and as per the KMCL Policy Manual.
- In view of the nature and the needs of the job, you must be physically able to work 8-12 hour shifts as assigned.